Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sitting Owl


Well....this is the companion piece to last week's flying owl. This was harder because it was more static, and I'm not sure that I really like it. I've never done drawings of any sort of animals before (except dogs because I have a dog, and horses when I was a kid and had horses) and it was kindof hard to figure out what to do about all those feathers that I definitely don't have the patience to look at one by one. I suppose this means I'll need to do some more so I can learn how to do this. Like nothing risked, nothing gained sort of thing, and if I'm going to do it, then I'd really better do it all the way.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you continuing the pen & ink work. You always have such great textures in your pieces. The owl may be static, but it is not a boring drawing! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic! very lively because of the great linework and the interesting textures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work, your owl is so majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the 'suggestion' of feathers and think it pulls off nicely. While I agree with you on the nothing ventured nothing gained aspect, if you aren't careful you can overwhelm the work with detail that causes it to lack a sense of unity. Although it would be a great study to find some feathers and try to do super detail work...be careful to chunk it in small fragments of time or you'll lose yer mind or worse...get sloppy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The previous piece had more contrast between the foreground owl and the background, which may have helped with emphasis. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is terrific! Absolutely terrific!

    ReplyDelete