Monday, May 4, 2009

Illustration Friday: Hierarchy


*************** The child thinks that in her family, her dog is just as important as she is--he's FAMILY. She doesn't know, though, that to her parents she is infinitely more precious. The dog is just a dog, but she is their child.

On the other hand, all dogs, no matter how beloved, are the lowest of the family members, and to be a good family dog, he must think of even the smallest child as being above him.

As far as the picture goes, this one has been a disappointment. I stopped working on it in total disgust. I really liked the initial drawing, but I'm having massive rendering failure. I had models for their faces, but I drew both the dog's and her body in different positions, and have no idea where the lights and darks are, and was too lazy to set up any kind of lights and try to figure it out. It's time to move on to the next thing. This one goes in the 25% of "don't like" pictures, except that I like a few things about it, so maybe that makes it part of the 50% of "sort-of okay" pictures.

18 comments:

  1. great illustration, love the style and your technique! thanks for the comment on mine, you were spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really love this one, makes me miss my buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I like it, a lot! You can feel the bond there. I know what you mean though - getting out of your depth with something and it not coming together despite a promising start! Still, put it all down to experience, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I enjoy yourself critic :-)
    i think you have linked them perfectly in a unic precious image!
    I love it, very beautiful!
    ( and yes poor dogs, specially those who are bad treated by owners ! they value much more than some humans!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't find anything disappointing about this image. I love their expressions and I don't think their positions seem off. Thanks for taking the time for the thoughtful comment on my attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I think this is a very dynamic image with a lot of feeling - the one thing that is throwing it off for me is the dog's front paws, which need more lap to push against. I am dealing with many of the same struggles as you, I have more of a sense of the life of lines than spatial relations. But i would put this image in a category of risk-taking which is very close to being quite successful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes find the images I feel most disappointed with are my favorites in hindsight... well put for the theme! Nice energy in the dogs pose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I like it!! I love the energy of it and you definitely captured "a feeling".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that a beagle? I like it. I get that way also. I know what you meant. I often want to give up on an image, but I go ahead and erase and try one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

    I love the picture.

    ooxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, look at all those lines!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you're too hard on yourself - everyone else seems to like it, me included!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its just beautiful. It feels like its in motion. really cool. Did you use a photo reference for this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Underwater dreams for a person who loves the water (or a cancer in the zodiac) is like dreaming of flying. It is a wonderful dream for you.

    The stress of parenting. It doesn't end, I'm sorry to say.

    Do what you can to help the situations and then make them become responsible.

    Tough, I know.

    Have a great day.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the weight of this - it looks like sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's great, love the expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. very nice grafic,with deep feel to it!
    Dogs have a special place in my heart,so I´m touched even more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I completely understand how it is to be disappointed in a piece of work, I must say, I find this illustration quite lovely! Great expressions and wonderful line work!

    ReplyDelete