Friday, May 29, 2009

Illustration Friday: Adapt


I finally got a new sketchbook. I really like it. My goal is to do at least one drawing per day in it. What are the chances that the drawing I was doing this morning just happened to fit the topic posted this morning?

Baobab trees adapt to harsh, dry climates by growing huge, thick trunks to store water. This is one from Australia, but different species of them also grow in Africa and Madagascar. I think they're pretty cool.

As far as the drawing goes, I didn't know if I had the patience to do it, and I found that I did, but just barely. It's nowhere near as cool as Ces's trees, but alas, I'm not Ces. I've always loved trees, and have drawn a lot of them, but only the trunks and branches, never the leafy parts, because how in the world does one do that? Perhaps that's something I ought to work on....

15 comments:

  1. love the sketch - you've just insired me to doodle again, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome tree, Heh, about the leaves. I have this issue myself. I think people that are good at indicating leaves are doing an equivalent of painting in their foliage, because it's not something that has to do with drawing, that its, showing outlines - or structure. There is a quality of shorthand in giving the impression of leaves which for people who are earnest in a certain way is challenging I believe ("but, THOSE aren't real leaves"). Anyway, that what I tell myself about my own limitations in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Coreopsis. This is clearly a Coreopsis tree, not a Ces tree and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was looking and reading I was thinking I should tell you about my wonderful friend Ces and that she does trees all the time.

    But here I see that Ces is your friend too. Should have known.

    I agree with Ces and think your tree is wonderful.

    Love Renee xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice illustration of a very interesting tree. I wish we had them in California!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the things you draw with a ball point pen astound me - wonderful tree, wonderful drawing!

    is this an "upside-down" tree or something like that? i saw a fake one in fake Africa at Disney and fell madly inlove...it had a huge trunk and spindly branches and like only 25 leaves altogether...thank you for giving me it's proper name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's wonderful!! I love trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good light and shadows work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey great sketch! love the movement in the lines! cheers from méxico :D bye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful tree, your patience payed off, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful tree, indeed! and I do love your other sketches, too - especially the people come through in a wonderfully warm way, really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! Love the textural pattern in the leaves. I love the way you depict natural subjects, there's a sense of freedom there. : )

    ReplyDelete