This year I'm doing it again, and am working on linocuts. I LOVE linocuts (and woodcuts, and just about every other printmaking technique) and have some major projects I'd like to do with them, but I have no skills. I actually cheated on this challenge and started early (only two days early), and boy, is there a learning curve. But I figure there's no way to get the skills without making a LOT of them, so that's what I'm going to do--29 faces (because I do love faces).
This is #3. It is 4" X 6", and it's the third proof after small amounts of additional cutting for each. The first thing I did after I had the image transferred to the linoleum, was start cutting in the middle of the hair--yikes! We're so used to our marks being the dark things that I did that without thinking. On this print, I touched my finger to the rolled out ink after I pulled the print, and dabbed it into those spaces, because it really looked awful.
This is #4. It is 3" X 5", and it's the second proof. For the first one, I was trying to have a mid-gray, with close together lines. It didn't work. It looked stupid. I'm not sure this is any better, but alas. I think I really need to be thinking in much simpler terms. This is NOT pen and ink where you have lots of latitude for subtlety.
This is #5. It is also 3" X 5", and it's the first proof. I actually really like this. It's much simpler than the others, and I like both the shapes of the guy's face and how the thinner lines make his beard. It's more the kind of graphic I think one needs for linocuts.