Saturday, September 14, 2013

29 Faces in September-- #20 and #21

Straight black and straight white is so much simpler, once you get the hang of it.  I rather like these two.  I enjoyed drawing them, and I enjoyed cutting them, and I enjoyed printing them.  But it is perfectly clear that I'm afraid of grays--I don't know how to do it.  And having said that, it's obvious that that's what I need to work on....I don't want to, though, because I know the results will be icky--like #18, which I actually recut.  And I'll have to post them anyway, because I'm doing this 29 Faces challenge (which does not say 29 GOOD Faces).

So this is #20.  It's 3" X 5".  I'd like for the white line on the left to be tapered off into black, but the one thing about making linocuts is that you can make more white, but not more black.


And this is #21, also 3" X 5".  Another smiling face for whoever wanted smiling faces.  Actually, I like him a lot, and it makes me smile to see his smile.

And here, definitely NOT for anyone's viewing pleasure, is #18 again--recut on a new piece of lino, but still not working.  This is so that if anyone mistakenly believed I could only make GOOD prints, that notion can be dispelled.  Alas.  I really liked the drawing, but it is just not working out in the block.

But next up will be tonal work.  We'll see how that goes.  I'm supposed to be grading essays because progress report grades are due Sunday night.  But it's my weekend, and I don't want to grade essays.....


2 comments:

  1. What's wrong with #18? I think it has character...like an old man with a mask. The eyes are sad too.

    Happy grading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the expression you are getting from these black on white. Great lines, and just clean graphics!

    ReplyDelete