Monday, April 2, 2012

Illustration Friday: Swamp


I KNOW that I am a whole week behind on these topics. Not only that, but this is one that I started for the week even before swamp. But I've been thinking about them....and planning them....and even finding the perfect reference material. But not getting them done. So I am still going to do "swamp" proper, and "return" as well, but in the meantime, here's a different swamp. It's about music again (surprise, surprise), and what wild, wonderful things might come out of life in the swamp. This man IS channeling the spirits of the swamp, and it's an eerie, other-earthly kind of sound, but one that grows on you. The more time you spend there, the more it seeps into your bones and becomes a part of you. You can't help it. This happens wherever you might be...the rhythms and melodies of the landscape start to fill you.

7 comments:

  1. This is really nice! I like your loose style. I know how you feel about not finishing things--I always come up with good ideas for Illustration Friday, but I can't always finish them before the next topic is announced!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shadow and light areas are awesome. Great use of the medium !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Wonderfully meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the aquarium tips! In the bathroom? I don't know if I'd like all that "watching" ha!

    I found another bulb that is the same model and wattage of the original, and I think that's helping. I know not to change out all the water, but it's tempting! I've just been changing out about 20% once a week and crossing my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heya what a great composition - how the eye is lead up to the important part - his face and expression - and we meander around the face for a while and then run our eyes down the soft curves of his arm to that highlight on the forearm and then we can cruise around near the hand - and then back to the face - sublimely done. And what an embouchure !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... so very soft and flowing. In part the image but mostly your description kind of reminds me of a film called Dark Crystal which was made with these brilliant puppets in a refreshingly imaginative swamp land. I like what you said about the sounds. :) great work!!

    ReplyDelete