Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Lino Faces #53 - #55

Thanks to Asakiyume for her characterization of these lino cuts as "creating a world of souls and personalities".  I really like that, because it does seem like, on some level, that's what's going on.  One of the things I really like about making art is that as I draw, I do fall in love with the person who is emerging on the paper.  It's a little different with the lino cuts, because when you're cutting, it's just cutting.  The magic happens initially in the drawing, and then when you pull the first proof, but you have to do the middle cutting step, which can be very rewarding, but in a different, more zen way, but not in the same way as drawing.  (I don't know if that made any sense at all.) 
So here are three more.  They seem like they could all live in the same world.  A couple days ago I was putting groups of three together to print together, and out of 53 blocks, there were only three trios that wanted to be together.  I tried and tried to get more, especially of these little 3 X 5 blocks, but the three had to all have the same sized heads and the same style.  But that wasn't what I was thinking about when I was making them, so most of them don't belong together.  I did print a block of 20 (of the 3X5s) and 16 (of the 4X6s), but for that, since none of them go together, they all go together, since they're all black and white.  If I haven't posted any of those yet, I'll do that sometime soon. 

1 comment: