Sunday, December 22, 2013

Gouache resist and ink revisited


Somehow it makes me feel so mature, or something, to go back to a technique I did last year to revisit it.  I was looking at some of those from last year--was it last year?--yes--and really liking how they turned out, and wanting to do some more of them.

So this is the gouache resist and ink....



It didn't take long though (one, as a matter of fact) to remember what I had ultimately decided about why I didn't like this technique.  It's cumbersome.  The gouache is thick, and can only be put down as a resist crudely.  And I used a different paint this time, which lets the ink through is different ways, which I think perhaps I kindof like.  We'll see.



But since I still like the results, I think I'll play around with it some more.  I am, after all, officially on winter holiday, so I do have a little time (at least I THINK I do, I hope I do....)

2 comments:

  1. Great!! What a beautiful portraits. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas time!!
    xxx Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings! It's been so nice to scroll through your blog and see all the incredible linocuts and sketches and paintings with gouache and ink. You are truly good with creating interesting faces and the depth of your work is always incredible.

    Merry Christmas and enjoy your holiday! Did you get a lot of snow? We got three inches last night. Going to walk my dog in it...we love the snow.

    ReplyDelete