Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bearded Guy


It has been TOO LONG since I've posted. I really need to get a new computer, so I don't have to bring stuff to school to scan there. Actually, there are a number of other reasons to get a new computer too. The break was good, but those reasons are starting too build up.
It's been essentially a whole month with no making art except for a few sketches in my sketchbook, but without a computer, I couldn't even scan those. How can I possibly be so busy that I can't do that? I think I missed three (or maybe four) Illustration Friday topics, though I thought about each of them, and even did little sketches for at least several. But....not time? How lame is that! I really need to do something about my life so that it doesn't continue.

6 comments:

  1. Yes you have been a bad girl! Good to see you back in track. This is a very strong work and enjoyable, almost satanic, and reminiscent of some of paul gauguin's self portraits.

    care to share what media did you use for this?

    ink and wax resist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I'm in the same situation - nothing but sketchbook work and nothing really to show after a month, despite my best efforts. And I still don't have a scanner! Sometimes that's just what we have to deal with, but hopefully everything'll get back to what it should be soon, for me too...

    Anyway, this is great work, expressive inkwork and interesting effect of texture. I like this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a mask that's kindof like rubber cement (you paint it on with a brush, and then just peel it off when you're done), spattered ink (both full strength and diluted) with an old toothbrush, and then once that was dry (and the mask peeled off), used pen and ink, and also a brush with ink. Pretty simple, really. I'm loving the messiness and multilayered effects...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this piece is captivating. i like the spattered ink pattern and thanks for talking about the rubber cement technique! i'd like to try that sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this, you have such a great style!

    ReplyDelete