Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mandolin Player


When you play music, you are alone in the world of the music. But not lonely. Connected to the pulse, connected to the other musicians, connected to the world, even when you close your eyes.

I think I'm ready for a different medium. I'm not sure what exactly. I almost wish I could do oil paints. Could I?

(This is a water soluble black pencil. I did the drawing and then laid a wet paper towel over it to "melt" the pencil.)

I'm really wanting to take an art class at the Arts Center, to learn something new, and to have a couple hours a week dedicated to making art, but nothing is really striking me, and the life drawing sessions are too expensive.....

7 comments:

  1. I very much like this technique...wonderful drawing! I think, too, that whatever class you take you will get a lot out of it...and do very well. Your talent is obvious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked your mix of fine cross-hatching and splattering with ink but this tecnique shows another aspect of your talent. The energy of your rendering is still visible yet softened by the moistened towel.
    I, too, have been itching to try new mediums but have never felt as comfortable with a brush as I do with a pen or pencil. Good luck on your quest...I look forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wet paper towel technique. And a good scratching! I use my fair share of Q-tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great technique, and a wonderful effect. What a beautiful drawing, you sure captured the feeling of being lifted when making music.
    And yes, looking at your art, you look quite skilled and probably you could work with oil paint if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a very nice style and I agree that whatever class you take you'll pick up the techniques fast. You have a good eye

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the way you have used the medium here, but yes, I know that feeling of wondering what's next to explore. I agree with Koosje, why not give the oil paint a whirl?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I like about this is the way the musician seems to be moving, it is a very lively, beautiful drawing. Excellent use of line and the viewpoint is interesting. I meant to comment on this drawing a few days ago but, as is my nature, it was only when I got your comment (thank you) that I got around to actually doing it! I would love to see a series of your sketches collated together.

    ReplyDelete