Friday, March 14, 2014

March Quick Drawings

So I've been inspired to try a new style of drawing.  This is with a bamboo skewer dipped in India ink.  It's so interesting how a new process prompts one to look at subjects in a new way.

Instead of looking for dramatic darks and lights (what I usually look for when I'm drawing), this technique makes me notice contours, because it's all about line.
And also, it's loose line.  There's not a whole lot of control here, which means I can't be too tight, which is pretty liberating in itself. 
And here are three of the not-loose, and not-bamboo-skewer-dipped, drawings, which really, is what I can do during the week of parent-teacher conferences at school, where I have twelve hour days.  
They're pleasing too, but in a different way.  All three of these were drawn with the reference photo upside-down, which also gets me to look in a different way.

When you're drawing upside-down, there is no "naming of the parts".  It's all about shapes and direction and tone, because your brain can't "see" the parts that way.  And this is good too... 

4 comments:

  1. I can't decide if I prefer the loose lines or the tighter ones. BOTH are very appealing. These are really good! I can't imagine drawing upside down!

    I hope your conference go smoothly and rapidly. I used to work 12 hours days at the hospital. They're tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very spontaneous drawings. Love them!
    xxx Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always such a pleasure to visit your blog and see your artwork. I love the energy and movement in these drawings ~ they're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All wonderful, wonderful, wonderful (am I the leader of the Fan Club?). As you say, it is surprising how using a different instrument like the bamboo skewer produces such freedom.

    ReplyDelete