Sunday, August 8, 2010

Illustration Friday: Caged


I was reading again, the poem "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou, looking for some inspiration, and there are indeed some great lines--like the free bird who "dares to claim the sky" while the caged bird "stalks/down his narrow cage" and "can seldom see through/his bars of rage." Powerful stuff. But I'm not interested in illustrating "bars of rage." I would like to think instead that the human spirit CANNOT be caged, and thus I've started three drawings of uncaged people, joyous people. Here's the first.

7 comments:

  1. I love that you've connected a feeling of joy with one of its opposites: being caged... And you've really captured this fellow's exuberant alive-ness. Someone you know, I hope?!?

    And thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my own Illustration Friday post and art this week, Theresa... I am glad that you have had these bliss-full moments too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa, thanks for your words.
    Your views on the subject of this week I feel very good.
    Anyway, I think that somehow we are all somewhat caged, but within this cage is where we have more freedom.
    Very good your illustration .!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love where you went here. I too couldn't get a caged theme to feel comfortable. Love the drawing and can feel his joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the energy in the lines and the colors you used. Good job! Love the optimism.

    Thanks for visiting my site and your comment. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh he looks happy! The colours you've used add greatly to this! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete