Saturday, April 25, 2009

Illustration Friday: Theater

Theater is a wonderful thing, but the BEST drama happens in the natural world, with no special sets or costumes or scripts. All it takes in a certain amount of quiet and awareness.

Do I dare say that Illustration Friday has changed my life? It's true. I started posting pictures every week in January, and have made more pictures and more progress than the last twenty years of my life put together. I can't believe the things that I can do now that I didn't used to be able to...and it's all from actually making stuff regularly (and looking at everyone else's great stuff).

This is for a friend's birthday in a couple weeks. Though I've sent him this website address, I don't think he ever looks at it, so I don't think I'm spoiling the surprise. (I hope it doesn't). I'm not entirely sure I'm done with this, but done enough for the moment, and done enough to post....

18 comments:

  1. cool gift, I'm sure he'll love it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so peaceful and beautiful! A fabulous gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's EXACTLY the feeling I was shooting for! I'm really glad the peacefulness came across.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow it is fantastic and you are super talented, what a lovely gift

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a talented illustrator (and great actress) you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. Illustration Friday is superb for getting you working isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree!
    what a dramatic and beautiful ink drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the background in this case becomes air currents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so dramatic! Love it. And so true about the natural drama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is stunning as is all your work...and i feel the same about illustration friday - it's introduced me to incredible artists like you...keep drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, and always with the excellent textures. Illustration Friday's been very good for me, too. Not just for making stuff regularly, but for FINISHING stuff regularly, instead of just having lots of random ideas and intentions and half-begun projects laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful! I'm amazed at what you can do with lights and values here. I am going to have to take a serious look at your art on this blog. So glad you left a comment so I could find you!
    rebecca woodward -- justgiddy

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm so agree that IF do changes lives, as well as mine. this piece is beautiful, just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely drawing and a different slant on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comment! Everyone can imagine their own end to the story/the picture. No boundaries ...just as for her? :)

    As much as I love theater, I have to agree with you. No theater created by mankind will fascinate and haunt me as much as a hunting eagle, the roughness of the ocean, a hot summer's day followed by a raging thunderstorm.

    http://beijingberry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another beautiful application of the pen & ink medium. I admire your work and agree with your previous post about the importance of telling a story with images. There is certainly a dramatic element to the soaring eagle that is portrayed here, which is heightened with the use of a textured wash as its background. A truly imaginative interpretation of this week's topic.

    Thank you again for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a truly beautiful illustration and interpretation of the theme! Love that undulating and heavily textured background and the contrast between it and the more restrained treatment of the bird. Fab!

    ReplyDelete